Photos Reflection Journal
dgriffin2260's library on Photobucket
The process for completing this project was rather tedious and somewhat confusing at times the idea of a project where you have to create photos using the composition and principles of design did bring me some joy though.
To begin the project I made diagram of each of the elements and principles respectively and jotted down some shot possibilities under each that could \work for them then I chose a few different locations where I could find each of the shots. For the balance shot I drifted from my car towards Hotel Henry in search of framing something symmetrically and I was honestly quite surprised as inched closer towards the building and stepped into the intersection to see how the unique the architecture of the building made capturing it difficult. For my shape shot, I had seen some photos online of people shooting through benches so as I traveled towards the hotel garden I eased up close to the benches with my camera and knelt level with the bench loop to see the angles and the shot i was looking for I couldn't really get because the shape of the loops but I did manage snap something decent. Pushing closer towards the hotel lobby I had plants on my mind I figured a good bokeh shot of a flower would make for a good color or emphasis shot so I stepped back a little hopped onto the short wall surrounding the garden and held the shutter for a couple of nice close-ups and the sunflower managed to make my emphasis shot. Needing to move on to better things I started to walk past the hotel and thought maybe the brick makeup of the building could fill my requirement for a texture shot I traveled a little past the tunnel and seen the walkway could provide me with some nice composition for the bricks and got as close as I could turned the camera to the side and was satisfied with what I got. The rest of my shots took a little more work, for the contrast shot I was feeling a bit rushed so I saw I had some fruit at home layed it on the nicest counter I had and framed up for a little bit of depth of field. For my color shot this was actually hard to chose I wanted to do something at night but I really like strong colors (from this shot you probably couldn't tell) and sometimes you cant find the right venue so as I walked back in my house from having been out and about with my camera in tout I look up I see nice blue skies and clouds in the mix as well and the church right in front of my house makes for shots I really love so I went ahead and snapped a couple and thought this was alright. My value shot i figured since I had an old house I could get something really cool in here so as I walking towards my room I see the sun beaming through the windows and I think this could be a nice monochrome shot with high contrast and so there it is. For my form shot I kind of diverted from my list for I was at work messing around and as i looked at my lens on the table I thought the 3 dimensional feel of the object worked well so I framed it up blur the background a little and snap. For my unity shot my I practically went brain dead trying to think of what type of shot works best and I took my camera up to the falls with some family and realized long exposure water shots would provide the perfect rhythm for the composition I needed. The tree was result of some help from a friend I wanted to do fences I actually took some long exposure light trail shots out at night and was going to go with those but I ended up going with the tree pattern that someone else recommended I take while at the park definitely thought it fits better. I ended up using the shot I took through the fence for the movement shot as I thought it was a better fit but it was more difficult I wasn't thinking about manual focus so I was having problems there and the framing choosing how to angle gave me lots of problems. For my final two shots there both long exposures that I went out looked for after work one night for the space shot I was hoping to capture my subject through something as Im moving with my tripod I look up and see the moon through the trees and that was it. The lines shot was actually my favorite and probably the hardest to get, I was about to go up this bridge to capture the shot through the fence and as I'm going I start to the think of framing up the bridge itself there is enough light you can see the stars and everything felt right so I go for it and it takes a couple of tries exposed for about 20 25 seconds then I get it and its definitely one of my favorites. Overall I liked the project the shots weren't all my favorites but the experience was good to into a project knowing I have to think and plan for specific types of shots.
The process for completing this project was rather tedious and somewhat confusing at times the idea of a project where you have to create photos using the composition and principles of design did bring me some joy though.
To begin the project I made diagram of each of the elements and principles respectively and jotted down some shot possibilities under each that could \work for them then I chose a few different locations where I could find each of the shots. For the balance shot I drifted from my car towards Hotel Henry in search of framing something symmetrically and I was honestly quite surprised as inched closer towards the building and stepped into the intersection to see how the unique the architecture of the building made capturing it difficult. For my shape shot, I had seen some photos online of people shooting through benches so as I traveled towards the hotel garden I eased up close to the benches with my camera and knelt level with the bench loop to see the angles and the shot i was looking for I couldn't really get because the shape of the loops but I did manage snap something decent. Pushing closer towards the hotel lobby I had plants on my mind I figured a good bokeh shot of a flower would make for a good color or emphasis shot so I stepped back a little hopped onto the short wall surrounding the garden and held the shutter for a couple of nice close-ups and the sunflower managed to make my emphasis shot. Needing to move on to better things I started to walk past the hotel and thought maybe the brick makeup of the building could fill my requirement for a texture shot I traveled a little past the tunnel and seen the walkway could provide me with some nice composition for the bricks and got as close as I could turned the camera to the side and was satisfied with what I got. The rest of my shots took a little more work, for the contrast shot I was feeling a bit rushed so I saw I had some fruit at home layed it on the nicest counter I had and framed up for a little bit of depth of field. For my color shot this was actually hard to chose I wanted to do something at night but I really like strong colors (from this shot you probably couldn't tell) and sometimes you cant find the right venue so as I walked back in my house from having been out and about with my camera in tout I look up I see nice blue skies and clouds in the mix as well and the church right in front of my house makes for shots I really love so I went ahead and snapped a couple and thought this was alright. My value shot i figured since I had an old house I could get something really cool in here so as I walking towards my room I see the sun beaming through the windows and I think this could be a nice monochrome shot with high contrast and so there it is. For my form shot I kind of diverted from my list for I was at work messing around and as i looked at my lens on the table I thought the 3 dimensional feel of the object worked well so I framed it up blur the background a little and snap. For my unity shot my I practically went brain dead trying to think of what type of shot works best and I took my camera up to the falls with some family and realized long exposure water shots would provide the perfect rhythm for the composition I needed. The tree was result of some help from a friend I wanted to do fences I actually took some long exposure light trail shots out at night and was going to go with those but I ended up going with the tree pattern that someone else recommended I take while at the park definitely thought it fits better. I ended up using the shot I took through the fence for the movement shot as I thought it was a better fit but it was more difficult I wasn't thinking about manual focus so I was having problems there and the framing choosing how to angle gave me lots of problems. For my final two shots there both long exposures that I went out looked for after work one night for the space shot I was hoping to capture my subject through something as Im moving with my tripod I look up and see the moon through the trees and that was it. The lines shot was actually my favorite and probably the hardest to get, I was about to go up this bridge to capture the shot through the fence and as I'm going I start to the think of framing up the bridge itself there is enough light you can see the stars and everything felt right so I go for it and it takes a couple of tries exposed for about 20 25 seconds then I get it and its definitely one of my favorites. Overall I liked the project the shots weren't all my favorites but the experience was good to into a project knowing I have to think and plan for specific types of shots.
I really enjoyed your pictures. They all look very thought out and are great quality. I enjoyed that you talked us through your ideas for the pictures. Don't worry about planning out your pictures. I personally feel that greater shots come when you're not looking for them.
ReplyDeleteYour pictures look so cool! I enjoyed looking at them and then being able to understand your thought process after reading your blog. I particularly liked shape, movement, and space. They all looked like they were of great quality and were definitely creative. I also agree with you that it was quite tedious to complete this project. I was so confused at first and spent several days just brainstorming ideas and taking pictures of everything.
ReplyDelete